BabyNamesWorld  /  Message Boards  /  Baby Names Advice  /  3 weeks to baby! Need girl name!

3 weeks to baby! Need girl name!

• violinmama
    Participant

We’re getting down to the wire and we just don’t LOVE any girl name! Our son is Henry Thomas named after my husbands father and my father and we LOVE it! We like the idea of family names. The best we have is May Kathleen after my dear grandmother (my middle name is Kathleen too). Our last name is one syllable so May seems kind of short being one syllable also. Any ideas of ways to use May Kathleen but mix it up? We like classic, traditional names but our list is sooo short…help!!

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16)
  • TwoSapphires
    TwoSapphires
    Participant

Hmm …
    Maya Kathleen?
    Mariah Kathleen? (Or something else similar where you could use May as a nn if you want.)
    Mabel Kathleen (I also have a great-aunt named Maybelle (I forget the spelling) as another possibility)

Anabel Conner
    Anabel Conner
    Keymaster

Well, your son’s name is very traditional and classic. May (or Mae) is the same. Vintage-y. I think May Kathleen is very nice, and I really love seeing May in the first name position, rather than stuck in the middle like it usually is.

It would really help to know what your last name sounds like…what does it rhyme with? I ask because a one syllable first name with a one syllable last name isn’t a big no-no…it could sound perfectly fine!!

The other thing that you could do is concentrate on longer names that can be shortened easily to May. Consider these with the same throwback feel as Henry:

Mabel Kathleen
    Mavis Kathleen
    Megan Kathleen
    Maeve Kathleen
    Mahalia Kathleen
    Maida or Mayda Kathleen
    Mary Kathleen
    Mallory Kathleen
    Maren Kathleen
    Marielle Kathleen
    Marya Kathleen
    Mayra Kathleen
    Melaina Kathleen
    Esmee Kathleen
    Isemay Kathleen

All of these names are in our database if you want to look them up!

TwoSapphires
    TwoSapphires
    Participant

I love Maren, Marielle and Mallory!

TwoSapphires
    TwoSapphires
    Participant

I also love Marian, which also has a vintagey feel to me. (Reminds me of The Music Man. :))

yellowwatts
    yellowwatts
    Participant

My thought was Maybelle Kathleen.

Shirley
    Participant

How about Kathleen May?

kimiha
    Participant

i first thought is maya kathleen. so pretty and it would go much better with a 1 syllable last name. i love henry thomas and may kathleen too. but if the last name is one syllable it might sound choppy.

lovenames
    Participant

Esme (or Esmee)? It still ends with the “May” sound you’re looking for, but has that extra syllable.

Other lovely old-fashioned names that rhyme with “May” are Aimee, Danae, Mirabai, Faye. I’ve met people with all of these names so they’re not too out there. :)

The other alternative is to give a hyphenated firstname. This might be a bit much if you had a long or complicated surname, but since you’ve just got a monosyllablic name, this might work. Some suggestions:

Alice-May
    Anna-May
    Ella-May
    Emma-May
    Nina-May
    Nora-May
    Radha-May
    Sarah-May
    or
    May-Belle (Mabel/Maybelle)

Let us know your thoughts!

phoenix84
    phoenix84
    Participant

What about Maisey? And use May as a nickname? X

phoenix84
    phoenix84
    Participant

Although If you really wanted to mix it up a bit have Maisey Katherine, which I think flows a but better than maisey Kathleen? Or have Kathleen in first position and May as the middle? Then you could refer to her as Katie May? Xx

violinmama
    Participant

Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much! This is very helpful. I like a lot of the suggestions. More and more I am leaning towards just May Kathleen and calling her May. I love the simplicity of it and that it’s my grandmothers name. I think our problem is we like it but don’t LOVE it and I’m just not used to hearing it. I think I’ve meet one person who goes by May. All the May Kathleens in our family go by some variation of Kathleen.

Is it possible to grow to love a name? Not like love at first site but a slow burning love!! haha! I also wonder if we are can’t name a baby people until we see our baby. We didn’t know the gender of our son before birth but when they pulled him out and asked his name I just blurted it out!

thanks again, I might reference this in the hospital! I’ll keep you posted :)

kimiha
    Participant

ok i looovee may kathleen. i know i already said maya kathleen to avoid two 1 syllable names. but may kathleen is more classic yet so cute nowadays and it goes better with henry thomas. its completley unexpected next to all the isabellas (frilly popular) and the (brinleys) trendy unisex names. i can think of some 1 syllable sur names that may would sound ok with. for example may wicks, may holtz. i know a mae who is from thailand and she is so adorable. so i can picture it on a person too.

TwoSapphires
    TwoSapphires
    Participant

Yeah, I think taking a few names to the hospital and then deciding when you see her can work too. :) My brother and SIL did that.

lcd1912
    lcd1912
    Participant

I love May Kathleen!
    Maeve is on the top of my list and I would use Mae as a nn. I think May is darling and goes perfect with Henry.
    I am also a firm believer in learning/growing to love a name. There are names like Violet & Maeve that have been love at first sight for me, but others like Josephine (my grandmother’s name) grew on me. I’m still hoping that happens with my other grandmother’s name, Dorothy! haha
    Good luck-let us know!!

Mei Mei
    Mei Mei
    Participant

Maeve is a great suggestion.

Also, Mary, Marie, and Margaret shorten to May. You could also do something like Katherine May, if you wanted a longer name up front.

Tiffany
    Tiffany
    Participant

Mariya
    Maisha
    Monica
    Jenny

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16)

Funny Videos for Moms